bringing the program to you
The Greater Kalamazoo Girls on the Run Council is committed to making Girls on the Run and Girls on Track available to more girls throughout the Greater Kalamazoo area each year. If Girls on the Run is not in a school in our program area, we can help you bring Girls on the Run your way. Consideration as a Girls on the Run® site is based on “readiness-to-participate” criteria (see below) as well as on a “first-come, first-served basis”. Sites for the spring Girls on the Run program are identified in October of each year. Sites for the fall Girls on Track program are selected in May of each year.
checklist to host the programs
If you would like to help bring Girls on the Run or Girls on Track to a school or organization in the Greater Kalamazoo Area, here is what we need from you . . .
While Girls on the Run® provides almost everything needed to run the program, the site is required to provide the following:
- Provide a Site Liaison - Liaison Position Description
- Provide a safe, dedicated space for running two days per week for 1 ½ hours. THIS IS ESSENTIAL. This does not have to be a track. A field is fine. However, there is a need to measure off part of the area for occasions when lessons require running a certain distance, e.g. 1 mile, 5K, etc.
- Provide a rain site. Indoor, private, preferably a gym reserved for Girls on the Run® and NOT in conflict with other programs.
- Determine plan for identifying participants.
- Identify participants. Distribute registration forms to all 3rd-5th grade girls or 6th-8th grade girls. Girls on the Run teams consist of 8-15 girls. Girls on Track teams consist of 12 girls. Some sites may be approved for multiple teams.
- Provide two coaching candidates per team for your site. Each coach will be required to attend one day of Girls on the Run® training and become 1st Aid and CPR certified. Coaches must be available two afternoons per week during the program. Girls on the Run will assist you in identifying coaches when necessary.
- Verify support from the school principal or site director
- Secure storage area for shoes, snacks, etc.
For more information about bringing Girls on the Run or Girls on Track to your school or organization, please contact our staff at 269.337.1601.